Thursday, March 13, 2008

Finding Our Place

Today concludes our first week at Sparrow. We came into this journey trusting the Lord, and not knowing what our time would look like. Based on information from Sparrow's website, we thought we had an inkling of an idea. Rather than arriving and finding room after room of near-death residents, we found bubbly teenagers practicing their "walks" for an upcoming beauty pageant at school. The situation at Sparrow reflects the positive result that medicine and consistent treatment can bring. Rather than coming here to die, most children and adults now come to Sparrow to get well and go on to lead healthy lives. We rejoice that these are the lives Sparrow's residents are now living!

Sparrow's main focus is still providing healthcare to those faced with the AIDS epidemic, but they find themselves in a new struggle--that of educating the next generation. After several days of observing the Village, we finally found our niche. When they arrive home from school, we work with them on homework and reading skills. Around 7pm, we head to the baby room of the hospice to help feed the infants and get them ready for bed. This makes for a long day!

We are praying for opportunities to share the Gospel and minister to some of the teenage girls. We ask for prayers for discernment in how to fit in at Sparrow and for strength and kindness as we build relationships with the students and our fellow volunteers.


Just hanging out with some of the girls at a soccer game!


Kate with some kids at church!


Kids just being kids....adorable!


Assisting on homework!


So cute....look at their little feet!!!

11 comments:

Dawntoya and Adam said...

So glad to hear an update and see that these are lively people with ears and eyes and minds to hear see and accept the gospel!

Cade said...

whoa... look at that mexican foot!!! awesome.

Anonymous said...

Praise God for the opportunity to serve, to be encouraged at how love and service make a difference and how doors for the Gospel are opening. Stay focused and know we are praying for you.

Becky said...

what beauty! I can't think of anyone better to be with these girls than you....love you, and am praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Sweet, Rachelle! I am so excited to get that update. Know that I am praying for you! I know that it may look different than what you originally envisioned, but I know that you know that God is using you, and He has a mighty work to do. So, press on, sister! Love you so much!
Erin

rodger said...

Morning, Pee-Wee.
Hello, Francis.
Today's my birthday and my father said that I can have anything I want.
Well, good for you and your father!
So, guess what I want.
A new brain?
No; your bike!
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHA
What's so funny, Pee-Wee?
It's not for sale, FRAN-CIS.
My father said everything's negotiable, Pee-Wee.
I wouldn't sell my bike for all the money in the world! Not for a hundred billion million trillion dollars!
Then you're crazy!
I know you are, but what am I?

MLS said...

Rachelle,

Prayers for discernment are being sent your way. I will pray that the Holy Spirit in your heart will meet the work of the Spirit in the hearts of those you touch. What a light you are to all who know you! I am so pleased that the Lord would use you in a place that I love so much, as well.
Give those precious children lots of hugs for me.
If you see Mwadenny, please scoop him up and bring him back to me!!

Lauren

Anonymous said...

Good on ya, 'chell. Remember the word.
John P

Anonymous said...

Hey Gurl... Its your favorite black man Larry!!! I miss no,we miss your goofy ways. Come back NOW we need some attention 2. JK LOL Be careful and I will see you in May.

hi sis! it was good to hear your voice... i hope you enjoyed the funny stories i sent you. bella says hi and alex and noah say what's up. i love you very much.
raeann

Anonymous said...

macom was a tired 'ol town. even in 1932 when i first new it.

Meredith said...

BEAUTIFUL pictures!

I'll be praying that God leads you to pray specifically for the babies that you feed. Love you!