Thursday, April 3, 2008

Different Views

Tuesday was one of the longest days we have had since arriving at Sparrow. We went from two funerals to laser tag, a tough transition for even the most seasoned minister. The day’s event brought before us the humanity of Sparrow, but we each saw that humanity in different ways. Here is an account from each of us.

Buried and Broken (Rachelle):
As I try to put my thoughts into words, all I can think about is Siyabongo. He is 7 years old. He is now an orphan. His face cannot be put from my mind. Tuesday, he buried his mother, who died at a young age from this heartless disease we call AIDS. They both lived here at Sparrow. This was one of two people we buried Tuesday. The other was a man who was taken in off the streets, who had no one at the funeral but a couple of friends-no family. I cried for Siyabongo; for these loved ones we lost; I just cried.

I had the honor of sitting next to Siyabongo in the car on the way to the burial. We were silent. I was silent the entire service. As I sat by Siyabongo, I thought about how he felt. Although we don’t speak the same language, we did that day; I felt his pain-the pain of losing a mother. It has been almost three years since she has been gone, but it was a fresh feeling that day. How I wanted to hold Siyabongo and tell him it would be okay; that Jesus would heal his little heart. I put my arm around him and I silently prayed for him. It would be a long road ahead. A road that he knew nothing of.

He cried as they buried her. He threw flower pedals into her grave and songs of praises and mourning were sung by all who were there. Vusi preached and prayed. It was a day of grieving for everyone present.

A different perspective was given to me that day, a perspective I had yet to see. I saw death in the face of AIDS. All I felt like doing was being alone.

Where is your heart today? Where do you need healing? What perspective is God asking you to look from today?

Healing Touch (Kate):
“And all the crowd sought to touch him, for power came out from him and healed them all.” --Lk. 6:19

On the drive home from playing laser tag with the teenage girls, I felt something tickle my shoulder. I glanced down just in time to see a head sink into my shoulder as one of the girls napped on the seat next to me. The bakkie jerked its way through rush hour traffic, but I stayed as still as possible, hoping to prolong this tender moment. Looking down at her, I was struck by the healing I sensed in this simple posture.

From the hugs Rachelle gives to every kid she sees to the way Caroline cradles the babies, from the way siblings hold hands as they frolic across the playground to the way mothers carry their children on their backs, everywhere I see this healing touch. Perhaps I am romanticizing what some consider a basic fact of life, but I think not. An American missionary we met a few weeks ago at the Baptist Training Center told me about a study in which babies were changed regularly and given food and water. Some babies, however, were never touched, apart from that required to change their diapers and clothes. The babies that were not touched quickly sunk into a state of despair that bordered on death while those who were touched thrived.

Although I am not sure about the ethics of this experiment, the point is striking: without touch, we die. That an act as simple as rocking a child to sleep is as powerful in the fight to keep him or her alive as the medicine the doctors prescribe seems too incredible to believe. It is difficult to understand how powerful and healing a touch can be, until you consider those moments when you have been broken, and the Lord has reached out, touched you, and healed your brokenness.

10 comments:

Joel said...

thank you for posting this...

chris p. said...

I am left broken and in awe of His goodness and mercy. There is so much I don't understand, but I know it will be revealed in Heaven. Thank you for your blog.

Anonymous said...

wow shell that made me cry. i miss mom.
raeann

Anonymous said...

Shell,
How blessed you both are to share the same suffering. No one better to understand this young boys pain than you. I see your mom reaching out to others even now. I see her in you and say, THANK YOU LORD for everlasting life. We are one body in HIM.
My love and prayers are with you, and yes I miss her more than words can say.

Dawntoya and Adam said...

Oh this has me so teary eyed. 7 years old without a mother, Lord help!

Anonymous said...

Your encounter with this pain has truly warmed my spirit. I pray the Holy Spirit continues to guide and teach you two. Thanks for giving me names to bring before God in prayer. Please continue to do so.

Cade said...

how do you walk away from experiences like that? where do you take your first step? what do i do with these experiences? it's like now what? and i am walking away, walking away, walking away but i just want to stay.

Becky said...

how beautiful. I cried when you spoke of your mom, and how you knew exactly how Siyabongo felt - you are at Sparrow for a reason - and perhaps it was for this - holding onto hope for a little boy whose future is untold. You are doing beautiful things, and trust that He is using you in ways beyond your comprehension. love you, girl.

MLS said...

SO proud of you. You are passing on a legacy of hope. The hope you have learned to find in Jesus through such deep loss.

I feel honored to call you a friend.

SnodsAbroad said...

Hey Rachelle. Sounds like a tough trip. That sweet little boy. I am praying for you. You will be forever changed and even more compassionate after this trip. I love you.