Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Final Thoughts....Words....

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and fautless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep onself from being polluted by the world"
James 1:27


I cannot express my thoughts, experiences and words about my life in Africa the last month...but, I can try.

The children absolutely amazed me and their unconditional love has changed my life. They have a love for Jesus that I can only hope I can obtain. They have lost their parents to this war; to disease; to tragedy, and still, they are strong. They blame no one and I never heard one of them complain. The widows' stories were amazing. They shared their hearts and were absolutely transparent. Some of their husbands died many years ago and never re-married and some of their husbands just left them because they couldn't have babies...others husbands died, then they re-married and then their new husband died. To see the life they have now, giving their lives to these children, just challenged me to press on in my own life. They take care of these orphanged children and still send money home to their own children. What a testimony of giving your life away. They have so much love to give.

I saw people on the streets pushing their bikes up a steep hill, in very hot weather, carrying heavy bags of rice, hay and water, with miles and miles to go, because they needed to provide for their family, and yet, we complain when we have to walk up the street...I saw a boy on the way to the orphanage with half of this legs cut off, and he was using his arms to walk. One of my team mates saw a man with one leg, riding a bike, using a cruth on the other side, pedeling, to make his way around town. I think one of my new friends in Sudan, who lost her leg when she hit a landmine as she was fleeing the war, and has a "new" leg now, and bikes an hour and a half to work everyday because she has to make ends meet...I am just as guilty of complaining as the next person....I needed to learn these lessons as much as anyone..I hope they have taught you as much as they have taught me....take a lesson from these amazing people.

I think that as Americans, our first thought is to take these children to America for a "better" life...but, I learned, this is not the answer. It really isn't. What is "better" anyway? As Americans we think we have the best answers, but I learned quickly that we don't. I don't atleast. These kids don't belong in America. and America is not always the best answer. These kids are so happy where they are-their life is happy; their life is good. What is best for them is for us to go to Sudan, train them to be disciples of Christ and build them to be leaders of their country to make a difference. They are coming out of decades of war...naturally, we just want to take them out of that, but that is not always the best thing. We need to make them into the best leaders possible so they can change their country for the best...these kids are already making a difference where they are and Sudan needs them...it really does.

Sudan isn't just poverty, people dying, war, starvation, etc. It isn't just what you see on TV. It's a county where there is hope and a place where I see people coming together and a place I really see Christ evident.

People keep asking me, "Did you just want to stay there?" I have so many mixed feelings about it. I have so much here that I feel like God has called me to. So many kids and families here that I know He has me to work with...and honestly, I am not sure I am called to Africa full-time. Please pray with me as I am going through all of my thoughts, feelings and emotions....Maybe I am supposed to be in America full-time ministering to internationals...I don't know. Maybe I am supposed to be overseas...I really don't know, but I am open....

The experience was amazing, humbling and one that I learned so many life lessons from...one I will always keep with me. The people I met have forever changed me. The children taught me life lessons. The nation taught me more about life than I never would have imagined. I am a better person because of Sudan.

Enjoy the pictures and feel free to contact me further if you would like....this jet-lag and adjustment back to America has been a little overwhelming, but with some good friends here, it's been so much easier!

Thank you to all of you who have been such a great encouragement to me throughout this trip and for all of your prayers. I could not have made it through without you.

Please continue to keep these children and people in your prayers and they continue to strive to keep peace in their country.

Peace, love and Africa.

I take my final words from a song called "Galeana" by Lori Chaffer....
As I look into your face I see hope and not disgrace
And strength that carries you along the rugged road you travel on
And as we go our separate ways you can be sure
that I have changed
Because I’ve seen the way you live


P.S. If you know of a Plastic Surgeon who is willing to do Pro-Bono work for a child in Sudan, please contact me or post. Thank you.

rlpichardo@yahoo.com

-Rachelle


My first experience at the orphanage...trying to fix the button on her shirt...she is so adorable!!!


This is me and Eva....she was one of my best friends at the Orphanage


Ahhhhhh....sweet Grace...don't you just love her?


The crazy kids in Morobo....I love them!!!


This is my friend Beatrice....she is in the Women's Empowerment Program.


Me just hanging out in front of the guest house....


One of my favorite pics...Grace is teaching me how to dance...:)


My amazing friends in the Empowerment Program....


Charity (Mrs. Ruth's sister), Mrs. Ruth's mother, and myself...HUMBLING....


Megan and I with some of the kids in Morobo


Seriously...need I say more? Adorable....

Go HERE to see a cool video of the orphanage.....it's a little dark, I am not sure why, but oh well!!!

8 comments:

JMH said...

Thank you.

rodger said...

Wow! What an amazing reflection. I'm thrilled to know that your experience there was so life-affirming. I'm sure Mom is smiling down on you and your work. We're all very proud of you, you NUUUUUUUUUUUUUT!!!!

Vernon & Amber said...

shell, i love you. this post was amazing. if you dont mind i am going to copy and pastes some parts of it into my blog so people will visit yours. Love you! amber

Anonymous said...

Amazing, Rachelle. I still can't believe you got to meet Mrs. Ruth's mom and sister! So incredible!

Anonymous said...

so glad you had such an amazing experience. also glad you are back. those pictures say it all. love you sis

Anonymous said...

fine, here, I'm commenting. Are you happy now? I still like the one of you with the power stance. :)

Just so you know, I love you, and I'm so glad that you got to go. I love you mucho. Thanks for calling me tonight. :)

Robin Oas Designs said...

Rachelle! 3 tries a charm, i hope... trying to post anything from here (Yei!) is like trying to teach a turtle to do backflips! ha!
Anyway, Sudan says hi! miss you sweetie- know you are in my prayers- :) Off to find out the results of my malaria test (blech)and take a nap before lunch! whee!!
much love,
Robin

Anonymous said...

I know this is pretty late..But Shell I love u and am so happy that u did this..U really trully inspire me until this day

- Sade