Monday, December 25, 2006

Christmas in Sudan







(Robert and Moses) (Isro and I....Mrs. Ruth's sister)

Wow, I think we have missed it in America. Well, most of us....
Today was so amazing. Today the only thing we celebrated was the birth of Jesus Christ. We didn't exchange gifts...we danced, sang, ate, and fellowshipped....the people praised God all day today. The youth sang so beautiful...Vernon did an amazing job preaching...the day was beautiful!

We couldn't leave the compound today because Bishop Taban said there would be many people getting drunk and the streets would be filled...it wouldn't be safe. He prayed for those people today. It breaks my heart. We had a long talk on the way back from Morobo the other day. He has seen so much persecution. His church is one of the biggest in Sudan, if not, in the world. He has been through much, which is why he helps his people.

Moses and Robert...my two friends who live in the compound. (Pictured above) They live with Brother Jackson, who is their half brother...he takes care of them because their mom, (Brother Jackson's step-mother) is dying of cancer. I will be visiting her tomorrow with the children. She is in Yei Hospital, the same one where Megan, Mike and Vernon were that we spoke about earlier in the week....Pray for me as I am with them. If you knew this family, you would never think they were dealing with anything...they have so much joy and continue to give thanks to God for EVERYTHING He has done...I have learned so much from this family. Each night, we go to visit with them and they tell us thank you...they tell us we bring them so much joy. If they only knew the joy they have blessed us with.

Pray....I am getting anxious, but I don't know why....

The women's dance was beautiful...I will try to have Mike post it, so we will see...we are about a day behind, so be patient....internet is VERY slow here!

Merry Christmas....

Please keep leaving comments, they really encourage me.

-Rachelle

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas from Texas! I'm headed back to Memphis tomorrow. Thanks for sharing your heart about being away from home and family. I tend to take things for granted and your words are a great reminder to stop and give thanks for the many blessings that surround me. It sounds like the Lord is giving you sweet gifts of joy along the way. I'm sure your heart is so happy singing and dancing with the women and kids. Love and Blessings, Amy

Anonymous said...

RACHELLE!!!!! Girl, so sorry this is the first time I am "connecting" with you! We were gone till yesterday, and didn't have internet. Wow...I miss you, girl! I love all your stories...I can almost picture you there, and I wish I was with you! Okay, so today I was driving down the road and Austin and I were praying for you. When we finished he said that he wanted to go to Africa to see you! I do, too! Are you on your 4th toothbrush yet??
Talk to you tomorrow!
Love you,Erin