Wednesday, December 20, 2006

I have arrived!!!!

Thank you so much for those who were praying for a safe arrival....It was a long journey, but we have made it to Yei, Sudan. We were in Brussels, Belguim, then to Nairobi, Kenya, to Entebbe, Uganda, to Juba Sudan then finally to Yei, Sudan. It took almost 2 days....

Yesterday and today was absolutely amazing...meeting women, children and walking through the streets. We went to the market today and the children crowded around us. I am getting to use my arabic and it's been so beneficial.

Yesterday I spent most of the day with my friend Beatrice. She is a tailor here at the Women's Empowerment Program. She is disabled and lost her leg when she hit a landmine about 7 yrs. ago during the war. She is a mother of two chidren and has one of the biggest hearts I have ever known. She has restored hope in me. I look forward to getting to know her more.

I met some amazing children today who cut our grass in front of our house. They actually used these tools and manually stroked the grass back and forth and it took them the whole day. I later learned they lived on the compound and we went and met their family. Moses, he is 12 yrs. old, lives with his uncle, because of terrible conditions at his house, and works because he knows he has to...even if he doesn't get paid, he has to work (he says). They are off school now for 2 months and looks forword to working everyday.

The work ethic of these people is amazing. The strength these people have is encouraging. The love life. In the midst of hurt, they have hope. I am humbled to be here.

I look forward to teaching the women a dance for Christmas day to show everyone. It will be so powerful for them to show everyone the talents they have...

Pray for our team....the men went to the bush to preach. They will return tomorrow. Pray that I would get sleep. I have not slept one night through since Saturday night. It's been difficult.

Continue to pray for the people of Yei. That hope would be restored to this village of hurt.

God Bless.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachelle, thank God for your safe trip there AND back! please remember that you are missed and loved over here and your safe return is eagerly anticipated. Now, on a more personal note, that text msg that you sent me before you left was horrible - utterly. I will be looking for you when you return missy. I have a few words for you and only 1 of them has more than 1 syllable (smile). take care and see you soon.

proverbs 17:17

Anonymous said...

hey rachelle!! i'm soo glad that you all made it there safely and i'm glad you are feeling better than before you left. i will continue to pray that you are able to sleep well. i miss seeing you and talking to you and i'm excited that next semester will be different. it's so encouraging to read your updates- i love hearing what all is going on!! ok, i'm praying for you!! love you!!
Beth

Anonymous said...

Dear Rachelle,
How are you doing? This is Isabella. I hope you are having a good time in Africa. I'm really excited and I'll check your website.
Love, Isabella

Brittany Stigall said...

hey rachelle. i love you and pray for you all the time. the update was great and i love hearing about it. :)

rodger said...

Hey you NUT! It's Rodger. I'm so happy you're there safely and that you are enjoying yourself. I will pray that you have a trip full of love and hope. This woman at the bookstore was trying to swipe my card today over and over (it wasn't working obviously) and she kept doing it over and over and over again and I started laughing and she kept saying "dang machine" "this DANG machine!"
nuttiness. love you.

Anonymous said...

Rachelle, I'm so glad you got there safely and that you've enjoyed your time there so far! I'm still praying for you, and I hope you're able to get some rest. You need your beauty sleep Pichardo. Anyway, have fun...I bet the people there LOVE you!!


p.s. your hair is getting sooo long

Anonymous said...

So glad that you're in. You've been in my prayers. Anywho, I'm primarily jealous that you're already travelling, and I'm still wasting away at my grandmothers. Just kidding. I'm loving it. Okay, quit reading this. Go live! You're in my heart.