Sunday, December 24, 2006

Morobo

Go here for video and pictures of Morobo.

Morobo is about 27 miles from Yei, but in reality, it took about 2 1/2 hours because of the conditions of the roads. When we arrived, the widows and children greeted us all the way down the road with dance and songs. I got out of the car and was surrounded by songs of Jesus. Their smiles were priceless and their joy was boundless. The widows singing at the top of their lungs and the orphans just singing and singing and dancing....tears were filled my eyes...I couldn't stop them. All I could do was praise God for the privilege of being in this village.

We greeted the people and they welcomed us and treated us like royalty. When we got settled, we joined the children for a time of singing and dancing. We had a drum in the middle of a circle and danced forever....and ever....I loved it!!! The children's joy and love was so contagious! The widows just loved and loved us...what did we deserve to receive such love?

They showed the Jesus film in Bari, their main language, and people were coming out of the bush to see it. It was so amazing...the children went to bed and we proceeded to our huts. Oh, and I peed in a hole for the first time!!! Yeah!

I also met my friend Santos. He has a speech problem because he has a hearing problem. They can't get a doctor out there to see if how bad his hearing is and if he will be completely deaf. When Megan and I go back there on January 4th, I will have lessons prepared for them to teach him everyday how to pronounce letters, speak and also sign-language. Who would have thought I would use my sign-language here?! If he does go deaf, he will need to learn it now when he has some hearing. They will have an arrangement made so someone, one of the older boys, will work with him everyday. Santos is 4 years old and doesn't interact with anyone because he doesn't have the confidence to speak and not many kids have the patience to speak to him loud enough for him to hear. It breaks my heart. I look forward to going back.

Tomorrow is Christmas. I really miss my family. I miss the dinner we will be having at my brother's house. I miss the family talks. It's not the same. I miss my mom. The holidays are always hard, but they are harder this year because of the distance. I hope you all know, family, that I love you and I will be thinking of you all during these days...Rodger, no Fancy Feasts parties without me and Raeann...Billie, I am praying for Mia as she arrives....I love you all so much! Don't have too much fun without me!!!

Be praying for our team....pray for the women as we will dance for the church tomorrow and we will be able to show these people the love of Christ.

Pray for peace for Sudan.

No more spiders and cockroaches in our room....seriously. It's getting old, okay?




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas. I'm praying for you, Rachelle; God has his hand on you. Thank you for the story about Santos. Enjoy the roaches and spiders. If you want, I'll try to find the story I wrote for you about the Mexican roaches to keep your spirits up.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Rachelle! We love you and love on those orphans for us!
Avery, Marilyn, Isabella, & Brook

rodger said...

On behalf of our whole family, Feliz Navidad! We all miss you, but understand that you're meant to be there right now. Everyone's about to come over and eat & play taboo. I'm sure it'll be NUTS. We love you. I gotta go sort the beans...